Saturday, August 26, 2006

"Tomato Worm"

My dad and I were at the kitchen table working on our various computer projects when my mom came in from the garden. "Elissa, I need you to help me with a tomato worm."
"A tomato worm?" I replied. I was wondering what could be so difficult about getting rid of a worm. I obediently went to help with the worm, and was shocked by what I saw. This was no normal worm. Six feet up the tomato plant was a 2 1/2 inch long, 1/2 inch diameter thick caterpillar/worm (?) with a horn coming off the end of it.

The thought of touching the worm grossed me out, so I ran back up to the kitchen, retrieved a napkin, and returned for the task. On the step ladder, I positioned myself across from the worm. We looked at each other. At least, I think he was looking at me. Then I placed the napkin around the worm and gently pulled. Nothing happened. The caterpillar's suction-like "feet" were gripping the branch so tight that I couldn't pull him off. So, my mom handed me a pair of scissors, and I cut the whole branch off.

Being a little bit curious about the worm, I decided not to let it go right away, but to take it in and watch it from time to time while I did my work. My friend Courtney called, and while we were talking, I was trying to probe the caterpillar's feet off of the branch. When I got to the feet closest to its head, he lashed out like a snake toward my finger. Out of shock and fear, I screamed! This scream received a stern, comical look from my dad and, I'm sure, shock and amazement from Courtney.

For some reason, I could NOT leave the worm alone. I probed him again, he jerked his head out at me again, and I screamed again! By the second time, I was very embarrassed. Thankfully, the people who witnessed my screaming have known me for a long time and forgave me quickly.

What did I do with the worm? I took him to the neighbor's yard and plopped him over the fence. I know what you're thinking: "You should treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated." The good news about this story is that our neighbor doesn't have tomato plants. Poor worm, though! No tomato leaves to eat!

So, this post is written in honor of "the tomato worm."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I had never heard of tomato worms before. This has all the makings of a Sci-Fi thriller: "Attack of the Killer Tomato Worms!"

Lauren said...

Now, would he also be known as the 'mater worm? :-)

Anonymous said...

See you later...'mater worm.

E.T. said...

Are you suggesting that the tomato worm might return?! Eeek!