Saturday, November 18, 2006

Exciting Airplane Ride

When it came time for me to get ready for a teaching convention in Cairo, I wasn't pumped. I'd just traveled the previous weekend and wasn't looking forward to packing again.


Once I'd arrived at the airport, however, the excitement began. First of all, the plane was on it's way to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and this fact alone excited me. My two traveling companions and I made a game out of trying to figure out who was Egyptian, who was Saudi, and who was from some other country (the origin of which we would try to guess as well). What fun!


Here I am sitting next to two Saudies. Much of their time was spent reading a Zahara magazine. Way on the other side of the aisle sat my two traveling companions. :)



















The excitement continued when we realized that one of the flight attendents is a mother to some of our students. She invited us up to the front of the airplane, where she offered us sodas, fruit, cheese, and more. Then she invited us to go into the cockpit. That was cool! The lights were bright in the dark compartment, and the pilots seemed to be effortlessly controlling the plane. I sat behind them and was amazed with how they could simultaneously fly a plane and engage me in conversation about music, flying planes, and more.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like you've been busy!! God bless. We'll miss you this Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

Did you ask Victor what his vector was? (Sorry, I couldn't resist an Airplane reference.)

Lauren said...

The fog is getting thicker...and Leon is getting laaaarger...
(my favorite Airplane reference).

E.T. said...

Wow, I am out of the loop on this one. My ever present excuse: I must have been in Saudi. I need to do a little research...watch Airplane.

Jed Carosaari said...

Let me get this straight. You were sitting next to two Saudis, and your friends were on the other side of the plane. And these two men spent the entire time reading the magazine?

And then, how lax is Saudi security that they let you into the cockpit?

E.T. said...

Well, the two men spent almost the entire time reading the magazine/sleeping. I tried to converse with them so that I could practice my fousha, but our conversation was quite limited. So, ultimately, they went back to their Zahara magazine, and I went back to my music and self talk.

Oh, and thanks for your vote of confidence in me being trustworthy enough to be allowed in the cockpit. :)

Jed Carosaari said...

I'm just saying, given that that they would choose to sleep and read a magazine rather than converse with an intelligent young pretty woman, they are evidently quite challenged in effective decision making skills.

E.T. said...

Ah, thanks!